An introduction to Next2.us Geosocial Network
Next2.us, builds local social networks around place and topics of interest using only SMS. Any mobile device that can send and receive text messages can be used to publish content, discover other users nearby that share common interest, and send and receive messages with internet users.
The mission of Next2.us is to connect people together that do not have an internet connect but want to work together to find local solutions to local problems. Next2.us achieves its mission by automatically exchanging text messages between users based on location and topics of interest.
Here is an overview of how the service works:
- Customers register for the service by sending a SMS text message with the name they want to use and their location.
- A "sharing circle" of 10 kilometers is automatically established around their location and used to exchange content (text messages) with other users.
- Customers "signal" what they want, have or would like to discuss with others by sending a text message that starts with have, want or discuss followed by a keyword or phrase.
- Messages are automatically matched and exchanged between users based on location and common topics of interest. Matched messages come in as a new text message on the customers mobile phone.
- Customers can direct text each other using their Next2.us name without having to reveal their mobile phone number.
Next2.us also provides the following benefits:
- Using only SMS text messaging customers are create a web address where their public text message appear on the internet (example http://m.next2.us/brip).
- A customer Next2.us home page can be used to send a message to the customer from the internet.
- Customers may respond to messages by replying using text messaging.
- Customers can exchange PRIVATE messages which are matched and exchanged but are not posted to the customers Next2.us web page.
Customers can increase of decrease the size of their sharing circle, change location and post both public and private text messages using Next2.us SMS commands.
Customers with an interent connection can use the same message match features by using the mobile version of Next2.us at http://m.next2.us
Next2.us is available in Kenya and the United States via SMS short code. The Kenya short code use incurs a KSH 5 fee to send a text message. There is no fee to receive text messages using Next2.us. Next2.us is in the process of translating the SMS commands into Swahili.
The Kenyan short code should be available shortly. Once the correct billing is established for our dedicated short code the service will be available for Kenyan users.